On-street parking spaces with meters are available for short-term parking. You can pay directly at the meter with coins or credit card. The rate is $1.25/hour with a $0.75 minimum payment for cards. You can also pay remotely with Parkmobile. Meters are enforced from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and most Sundays are free. Parking is not permitted between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.
Meter bags may be approved by submitting the completed Meter Bag Application to the Parking Office or by email at email@example.com. This reserves specific metered spaces for approved reasons.
Hourly off-street parking is available in all three garages downtown (Beaver, Fraser, and Pugh). These garages are open to the public 24/7. The first 30 minutes are free. The daytime rate is $1.00 per hour or any portion thereof from 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. The evening rate is $0.75 per hour or any portion thereof from 6 p.m. – 6 a.m. The maximum daily rate is $18.00. Most Sundays are free. If you lose your ticket, you will be required to pay the maximum rate. During special events the hourly rate is $2.25 per hour or any portion thereof with a maximum daily rate of $32.00.
The Allen and Beaver Lots and the McAllister Deck have a rate of $1.25 per hour with a maximum five-hour time limit. This is enforced from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday – Saturday. Parking in the McAllister Deck is not permitted from 3 a.m. – 6 a.m. on Sunday mornings.
Monthly parking permits can be purchased for the Beaver, Fraser, and Pugh Garages. The monthly rate for the Beaver Garage is $100, while the Fraser and Pugh Garages are both $115 per month. These permits allow for 24/7 access to the garage at a flat monthly rate. Night permits are available for the Beaver Garage for $35 per month and allow parking in the Beaver Garage between 4 p.m. and 4 a.m.
Permits for the McAllister Deck are $85 per month for the roof and $100 per month for the reserved level. McAllister Deck permits do not allow parking from 3 a.m. – 6 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Reserved 24/7 parking permits can be purchased for the Barnard and Sparks Lots for $75 per month.
Commuter Permits allow vehicles to park in designated Commuter Zones past the posted one or two-hour time limit. This permit does not allow for overnight parking. Commuter spaces are open to the public and subject to availability. The map for the Commuter Zones is available here Opens a New Window. .The contract for the Commuter Permit is available here Opens a New Window. .
To purchase a permit, visit the Parking Portal Opens a New Window. . Parking permits are subject to availability. Available permits can be purchased on the Parking Portal. Garage permits must be picked up in the parking office. Monthly permits have a minimum one full month purchasing commitment.
The Borough has specially designated loading zones on the streets of the central business district. The zones are for use by commercial vehicles to load and unload goods outside of travel lanes.
Others whose business requires frequent loading and unloading of goods may purchase a permit to use these zones not during commercial loading times posted on the signage. Permits allow for short-term active loading and unloading during non-commercial times. Loading zone permits are $25 for the calendar year and can be purchased on the Parking Portal.
Downtown Handicap Space Locations
- Beaver Garage (200 W Beaver Avenue): Spaces are located by the lobby elevators, facing the Hyatt Place, on every level of the facility. ADA only metered spaces are also available before entering the gated access area, on the ground level of the facility, in front of the Hertz Rental Car office.
- Fraser Garage (135 S Fraser Street): Spaces are located by the Fraser Street elevator, facing the Hyatt Place, on the ascending levels of the facility and near the north side elevator on the descending level before the exit gates.
- Pugh Garage (126 S Pugh Street): Spaces are located on the ground level of the facility, facing Pugh Street, with signs posted to direct you from the entrance to the ground level spaces. Additional spaces are located by the Pugh Street elevators, facing the Calder Way/Pugh Street intersection, on levels 2A and 3A of the facility.
- Allen Lot (233 S Allen Street): The entrance to this lot is on D Alley, accessed via 100 West Foster Avenue. The spaces are located on the eastern edge of the lot, facing the Borough Municipal Building.
- Beaver Lot (100 West Beaver Avenue): Spaces are located on the eastern section of the lot beside the payment kiosk in the northeast corner, on the side closest to the Beaver Avenue/Allen Street intersection. The spaces are immediately to your left when entering from West Beaver Avenue or at the end of the row on your right when entering from Highland Alley.
- McAllister Deck (132 McAllister Street): Spaces are located on the east side of the facility's ground level, beside the payment kiosk closest to McAllister Street. Additional spaces are located along the northern edge of the lot, immediately on your right when entering from McAllister Street or at the end of the row on your left when entering from McAllister Alley.
- 200 West College Avenue (Meter 89): The ADA only parking space is located on the south side of 200 W College Avenue, at the last meter, closest to Starbucks.
- 100 East College Avenue (Meter 120): The ADA only parking space is located on the south side of 100 East College Avenue, at the first meter, closest to Pugh Street.
- 400 East College Avenue (Meter 165): The ADA only parking space is located on the south side of 400 East College Avenue, at the first meter after Sowers Street, in front of Jimmy John's.
Handicap Parking Placard
Pennsylvania issues permanent and temporary parking placards and permanent license plates for individuals with mobility impairments. These placards and plates authorize persons with such disabilities (or those providing transportation to them) to park in specially designated handicapped parking spaces. They also give an hour grace period beyond your expiration time at metered spaces. However, payment is still required. Applications for placards and plates are available in the State College Police Department, 243 South Allen Street, at many doctor's offices, or any Notary Public office.